Posted on: 20 January 2023Share
Installing synthetic turf or artificial grass in a residential setting is a great way to create a low-maintenance and beautiful lawn. However, the turf must be installed correctly to look like natural grass and last a long time.
Here are nine tips that will help you install synthetic turf or artificial grass in your residential landscaping like a pro:
1. Measure the area where you plan to install the synthetic turf. Make sure you have enough turf to cover the area and consider any additional cuts that may need to be made to fit around curves or corners.
2. Prepare the ground by removing any existing grass or vegetation. Use a sod cutter or a shovel to remove the grass and dig up any roots. Rake the area smooth and level it with a rake or a tamper. The better you prepare the ground, the better the new turf will look!
3. Install a weed barrier if desired. This material layer goes under synthetic turf and helps prevent weeds from growing through it.
4. Install a drainage layer if needed. The drainage layer is made of crushed stone or gravel and should be a few inches deep. Synthetic turf needs good drainage to look and perform its best.
5. Roll out the synthetic turf and position it over the prepared area. Make sure the turf is smooth and free of any wrinkles or creases.
6. Secure the turf with landscape staples or heavy-duty sod nails. They should be driven into the ground every few inches along the perimeter and every foot in the rest of the area.
7. Fill the turf with infill. Infill is a material spread over the turf to help support the blades of grass and give the turf a more natural look and feel. Common infill materials include sand, rubber, and crushed stone.
8. Brush the infill into the turf with a stiff brush or natural bristle broom. This will help the infill settle into the turf and make it look more realistic.
9. Water the turf thoroughly to help the infill settle into the turf and to remove any remaining wrinkles or creases. Repeat this if creases or wrinkles remain when the new turn dries.
By following these tips, you can ensure a smooth and successful installation of synthetic turf or artificial grass in your residential landscaping. With the proper preparation, tools, and materials, you can create a beautiful, low-maintenance lawn that will last for years. Speak to a synthetic turf installation service for assistance or to find out more.